Danielle Hamo joins The Fresh Diet
Although you see almost every person around you carrying a water bottle, H2O is actually the second most popular drink in America after Soda. The number one complaint about water is the taste or actually, lack of taste. If this is the reason you are not reaching the recommended 6-8 glasses a day, creating delicious, fruity detox waters, could very well be your savior. Water not only keeps you hydrated but it also keeps your vital organs in their best possible heath. These waters contain ingredients like lemon which helps to flush harmful toxins from your body, mint which aids in digestion, cucumber which contains anti-inflammatory properties and ginger which is a natural pain reliever and aids in digestion. Out of all the different detox water recipes we have seen, here are our picks for the most delicious and beneficial:
½ gallon spring water
½ grapefruit, sliced
½ cucumber, sliced
2-3 mint leaves
½ lemon, sliced
½ lime, sliced
When I think of winter I think of the holidays, food, socializing, pictures and trying to keep warm! But there is no sabotage to the waistline like that of baggy sweaters and coats, which mask all of the holiday drinks and treats we keep indulging in. Holiday photos last forever and I want to assist you in making it a picture perfect holiday by sharing some tips to help you avoid packing on the pounds this season but still enjoying all the delicious treats that may come your way.
Alcohol: Moderation! Everyone enjoys an adult beverage every now and then. If you just have to have it remember that moderation is key to keeping calories down and try alternating with holiday drinks and water to reduce your intake.
Eggnog: This holiday staple can easily add hundreds of calories to your daily intake and quickly kill your waistline. Try having one part skim milk and one part eggnog to cut the calories. If you feel really motivated go for 3 parts skim milk and 1 part eggnog and skip the whipped cream.
Hot Chocolate: When treating yourself to this winter favorite ask for it to be made with low fat or skim milk. Try and skip the toppings all together but if you just have to have it go for just one spoon of whipped cream and try the mini marshmallows to cut calories!
Cider: Choose ciders with the lowest amount of sugar and feel free to treat yourself to some extra flavor by adding extra cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves!
Fats: Go for vegetable oils versus butter. These have added health benefits and save more calories than butter and shortening. And if you’re feeling adventurous cut the fat in half by doing one part oil and one part sugar free.
Dairy: Try replacing holiday ingredients like mayonnaise, cream cheese and sour cream with equal parts of low fat yogurt. Replace heavy cream, whole milk and cheeses with low-fat or skim versions can also reduce calories by more than half.
Grains: Opt for whole grain versions of bread, rice, pasta and flours. Can’t commit to that just yet? Try going half white and half whole grain in your favorite dishes to start your transition.
Extracts: Adding peppermint, vanilla and nut extracts can add lots of flavor to your favorite dishes!
Forget the fryer! Roasting, baking, broiling and grilling are all healthier options than frying. Whether its holiday veggies, meats or desserts you can always find an alternative to frying while still getting that crunchy and crispy texture.
Sodium: This can add up to thousands of milligrams in one day! Use low sodium broths and more herbs and spices to add flavor and save on sodium. Canned items have tons of sodium so be sure to rinse canned foods before using. This can cut as much as 40% of the sodium!
Never go to a party hungry! Have a piece of fruit or a glass of water before heading to your party or eating a meal to cut the calories. You can always eat one of your Fresh Diet Snacks before you depart. Be prepared and remember moderation is key. When you’re tempted to go for seconds or to graze on a buffet have a glass of water!
Food can symbolize many things during this season but try not to focus on the food too much and enjoy building memories with those around you. Remember that if you do overdo it during the holidays, you can always get a Fresh Start with The Fresh Diet. Our meal plans have something to suit every taste and lifestyle need. From Gluten Free to Fresh Vegetarian and Premium Choice, The Fresh Diet’s at home meal delivery will be wishing you health and happiness for years to come!
Are you on a gluten free diet? Well, we heard your requests and have rolled out our new Gluten Free meal plan. A gluten free diet excludes the elastic protein found in grains, such as wheat, barley, rye and triticale (a cross between wheat and rye). A gluten free diet has become a way of life for many. More than a quarter of Americans are cutting down on gluten or eliminating it entirely from their daily diets.
But will going gluten free improve your health?
A gluten free diet is a way of life for people diagnosed with celiac disease, but you don’t need to test positive to be sensitive to gluten. For a gluten-sensitive person, a gluten free diet will improve their symptoms within one week. Keep in mind that going gluten free doesn’t necessarily mean it’s healthy for you. There are products in the market that contain less iron and vitamins, and are packed with extra sugar and fat to imitate the consistency of regular gluten products. Make sure you read your labels and start The Fresh Diet, for a gluten free diet that offers you a variety of healthy options.
Read the full article here to find out if a gluten free diet will improve your health.
Andreina Nieves (Marketing Intern) and Natalie Leon (Director of Communications), The Fresh Diet
It is a common misconception that being thin is healthy, and for a lot of people their health goals lean more towards looking good rather than feeling good, sometimes even putting themselves at risk with some very odd and dangerous diets.
1. The Master Cleanse: This diet originated in the 1940’s, and it consists of a juice fast. Fast being the operative word, which should raise some red flags. No food is allowed and it is substituted by tea and lemonade containing maple syrup and cayenne pepper. Its purpose is to detoxify, but by restricting the intake of important nutrients and vitamins it can cause side effects that include, headaches, constipation and fatigue. According to Harvard Medical School, following such a diet can increase the risk of disrupting the body’s acid-base balance, which causes excessive blood acidity, a condition that can ultimately be fatal.
2. The Tapeworm Diet: Yes, this is not a typo, you read right, tapeworm. If this sounds crazy to you good, because it is! This trend has been around for centuries, according to the, National Women’s History Museum the diet started around the early 1800’s. It consists of swallowing a pill containing the head of a Beef Tapeworm or Taenia Saginata, which will then grab onto to your intestine and grow. This infection causes a loss of appetite because of the presence of the parasite, which can reach up to 30 ft. in length. It will also cause abdominal pain and stomach upset and in some cases, tissue infection and cysts. This nasty diet has been re-surging in the last few decades, with cases reported as late as 2013.
3. The Cotton Ball Diet: This diet gained popularity in the last decade, and it consists of the dieter, dipping cotton balls into orange juice or lemonade and then eating them. The purpose of this diet is to trick the body into thinking that it is full, while having nothing but cotton balls in the stomach. What are the dangers with this diet? Most cotton balls are not really made out of cotton, but polyester, polyester is a synthetic plastic, and it cannot be broken down by our digestive system, causing blockage. Digestive blockage can result in, dehydration, death of the gastrointestinal tract and organ damage.
4. The ‘Balloon Diet’: A controversial new trend, this diet requires the dieter to take a pill, which will inflate into a balloon in your stomach and suppress your appetite. The balloon stays in your system for about 3 months, not allowing you to eat large quantities of food, and then has to be surgically removed by a doctor. The Food and Drug Administration does not currently approve of the, ‘balloon diet’ treatment in the United States and there has been no medical research to conclude what possible long-term effects or side effects it may have. Preliminary risks though may include, balloon deflating and passed in to the small bowel causing an obstruction or gastric balloons can also cause gastric ulcers and injury to the stomach or esophagus.
Incorporating good nutrition and exercise into your wellness routine is the safest most recommended way to be truly fit and healthy. Remember it is not always about the number on the scale but what is on the inside that truly matters.
If you work in an office setting, you probably spend much of your day sitting. But studies have shown that by doing so, we are putting our bodies under some long-term, serious health risks.
Along with lower back pains and neck strain, sitting for long periods of time can also: decrease your metabolism; compromise your posture; cause herniated lumbar disks; and decrease blood circulation to your legs, which leads to swollen ankles, varicose veins, and deep vein thrombosis (DVT, a serious blood clotting condition). So how can we avoid falling victims to a sedentary lifestyle? Simple, the key is to move around!
Here are some tips you can put into practice to help keep your body moving throughout the day:
Stretch your neck:
Whether at your desk or during your break, put your arms behind you and lift them until you can feel the stretch in your shoulders, and move your chin downwards. This will help you avoid the aches of neck and shoulder strain.
Step away from your desk:
Whenever you’re taking a break feel free to walk around and move. This will help you stretch your legs, and moving around will improve blood circulation.
Set a goal:
Make use of your resources and set a goal on how much you want to move during work. Nowadays there are many devices and apps that can track your physical activity and remind you to move. Set a goal on how much physical activity you want to achieve during your work hours, and use it as a motivator to stay on track.
Stretch your lower back:
You can perform a rotational stretch or toe touches in order to relieve lower back pain. Both of these stretches are easy to do: for the rotational stretch you must only cross your arms and twist to the left until you feel tension, then repeat to the right; for the toe touch you must bend at your waist, with your feet hip-width apart, stop when you feel a stretch and slowly reverse to the starting position.
It’s that time again. Summer is over and schools all across the country are gearing up for a new year. As parents, we want to make sure we are giving our kids the right foods to keep them healthy and focused throughout their day.
To boost your child’s brainpower make sure you incorporate these “superfoods” to get them off to a great start!
Berries: Blueberries and strawberries are known to contain high levels of antioxidants, which enable the brain to tolerate higher levels of stress, and enhance cognitive functions and memory. Add them to your kids’ diet as a snack, mix them in with yogurt or granola, or add them to a smoothie.
Sunflower Seeds: Contain high levels of vitamin E, the B vitamins, and important minerals like magnesium and manganese. If your child is a picky eater, a great way to include sunflower seeds into their diet is by grinding them and adding them to cereals or yogurt.
Bananas: Bananas have a high content of vitamin B-6, which heightens focus and alertness and also increases the production of serotonin, enhancing your child’s mood and sleep. Bananas are great when eaten alone or in a yummy shake.
Dark Chocolate: An easy choice that your child will surely love! Dark chocolate is rich with antioxidants; it’s also a mood booster as it helps the release of endorphins and serotonin; and it is rich in magnesium, which has anti-stress properties. A piece of dark chocolate is the perfect dessert to complement a healthy and nutritious lunch.
If you’re looking to improve your weight loss efforts and find an exercise regime that maximizes the results of your diet, running is an excellent choice!
Here are some reasons why we recommend it:
1. It’s easy! Even though you might not be in your best shape at first, take it slow and find your own pace, you will see that by training regularly you will gradually speed things up. Running does not require learning a new set of skills, nor does it require a certain level of expertise. Take in the scenery as you run through your city, beach, or neighborhood and enjoy.
2. It will make you happy. Studies have found that even quick running session will help lift your mood. Exercising aids our bodies to release endorphins to our brain, a chemical that makes us feel more energetic and happy, which causes some people to describe the good feelings associated with this activity as a “running high”.
3. You’ll have stronger knees. It is a common misconception that running weakens the knees. Running in fact strengthens your knees, because it increases the oxygen flow to that area, which makes the cartilage and the ligaments around your knees much stronger.
4. It’s effective. Research shows that on average running about 9 miles burns 1000 calories, compared to 16 miles on a stationary bike which only burns 850 calories.
So next time you feel tempted to join a gym or fall into the next fitness craze, go out for a run instead. Combined with healthy eating habits you will be able to see and feel the difference.
Diabetes is a metabolic disease dealing with the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or the inability to utilize the insulin it produces, which can impact blood glucose levels. Not only is this disease on the rise but also the World Health Organization found that 347 million people suffer from it.
The Fresh Diet offers healthy menu options that allow Diabetics the flexibility to enjoy delicious foods while staying away from any harmful ingredients. With access to certified nutritionist that can help personalize your menu, many of our clients have been able to reduce their medications and keep diabetes under control.
The diabetic friendly plan is customized to reduce carbs and sugars by:
• Avoiding fruit breakfast options
• Avoiding dishes with glaze or honey
• Limiting carb intake for breakfast, lunch and dinner within 30-45 grams each.
There are things that can be done to prevent diabetes, engage in daily physical activity, maintain a healthy and balanced diet and avoid excess tobacco and alcohol use.
This summer compliment your bikini body, with flawless skin without being exposed to dangerous chemicals.
To make your face glow and reduce acne outburst, the strawberry mask is the best. Because strawberries contain Salicylic Acid, helping remove dead skin cells.
2 tbsp. honey, juice from 1 lemon, ¼ cup yogurt and ¼ mashed strawberries:
1. Pour the lemon juice into the mashed strawberries
2. Mix the honey with the lemon and strawberries
3. Pour the yogurt and stir
4. When smooth, apply
Another mask that will help you improve the health of your skin is the honey facemask. Because of honey’s high content of vitamins, this mask will serve as a moisturizer, and will make your skin smooth, and glowing.
All you need is Honey!
1. Remove any makeup and pull your hair back
2. Smear the honey in your fingers
3. Apply evenly in your face
4. Leave from 10 min to 1 hour
5. Rinse off with warm water
Eat healthy, practice a good skin care regimen (don’t forget the sun block!) and have fun, now that’s a recipe for a great summer!
Through the ages humans have searched far and wide for ways to beat time and avoid aging, sometimes even falling into unhealthy traps and gimmicks that promise eternal youth.
But actually you need to look no further than your pantry to find the fountain of youth. Extensive research has found that many foods contain anti-aging qualities, and they will help you keep a fresh and healthy look if consumed on a regular basis.
Foods that contain high levels of Vitamins C, B and E as well as gelatin contain high levels of the protein collagen, which will aid skin elasticity, and help reduce wrinkles. And because your inside is just as important as your outside, if you want to keep good health to compliment how good you look, you should try eating nuts, walnuts and avocado more often.
Walnuts and nuts contain high levels of Omega-3, which lowers cholesterol and protects the skin from UV rays; while Avocado have been proven to aid brain health. For staying young and fresh, there’s no better way than to eat the right foods, and with The Fresh Diet’s dishes you will be able to do so.